If you are not sure if your son/daughter has taken rat poison, first check his / her mouth in case you see bright colors since poisons often have dyes that leave stains in the child’s mouth.

Next, the first thing to do is make sure the child is breathing properly. If he faints, his mouth will have to be opened, but if he is alert, has no symptoms, and is breathing normally, his pediatrician or medical professional should be called as soon as possible to tell what happened and much better if this call is made before they elapse. the first thirty minutes after ingestion of the rodenticide. At that time, the specialist will be able to guide, by telephone, the family members on some technique to promote vomiting.

Of course, before promoting vomiting, the poison will have to be widely identified and everything reported to the doctor so that he can duly authorize the child’s vomiting. But why? Well, because there is also the risk that if it is not a rodenticide and is mixed with some other substance that may be corrosive, vomiting, in that case, would be contraindicated.

If, however, you notice that your child is not well, he is not breathing normally, he is suffocating has any other symptoms, you should urgently call the Toxicological Information Service (SIT), which is the body that has been performing the functions of an antitoxic center since 1971 and responds by telephone to inquiries from all over Spain on poisonings and exposures to toxic substances. In addition, it is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. All the care received here is provided by medical practitioners and forensic doctors who provide information on the diagnosis of poisonings, first aid, preventive measures, emergency and long-term treatment, and prognosis and evolution.

Leave a Reply